Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear Vivi,

You are one year old today.
 How it has flown past me. I feel as though I am always saying that but it is true.

Your Aunt Kristin says we got an extra day of you being a baby because of leap year.

 Time is a funny thing isn't it.
There really is no such thing as extra is there?

I haven't put a moments work into your "first year scrapbook".
Your sisters was done by her birthday.
Even Tommys was almost done.
At least Daniels is started.

But it is not that I love you less. And you are not deprived of attention being number four.
 In fact you get so much from your siblings its often overwhelming.


No my darling you are actually benefiting from your place as the youngest.

You have the luxury of my time. I have found its value now.
I have watched three of my babies first years scream by me at an alarming rate.

I have blinked and found myself graced with a five year old ballerina,
or a four year old with a cellphone where a sleepy newborn once was.


I simply have no time to waste. For it belongs to you and your sister and brothers.
I must spend it wisely for your sake.... teaching, playing, cuddling.
And for my own sake as well, so I will not look back with regrets about these moments.

Vivi... what a joy you are to me.
You seem to fill this perfect  role in our family.
 How can your presence be so strong in this house when you have only been here a year.
When you hardly talk. Barely walk.
I melt when you do say Mama, or Dada or kiss. Your three favorite words right now.
And I could swear that you are trying to say Bella, you are so in love with her and your brothers.


Your spirit seems to so fit your name. Do we grow into our names?
Does a name speak something over us at birth... a truth or blessing that will be ours?


 You seem as thought you fit your name more than most...
 filled to the top with life and sweetness.


On more than a few hard days I will find myself heading in the direction of your smile.
Like magic it can help cure anything.


I can't believe you started walking at eleven months.
You are clearly here to break records and show what you got...


Even your brother Daniel who is the original wild child didn't start till fourteen.

 I know that's late but it is normal for us and our abnormal family.
I think you must know you have big things to do.

Places to go.
Adventures to be had.
Life to live.

Remember baby....  “It's not what the world holds for you. It's what you bring to it.”
~LM Montgomery 


My beautiful bright eyed daughter.
May the years ahead be as sweet as you and as filled with joy and wonder as this first one has been....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats beautiful Laura....i could look at her forever......Happy Birthday Vivian Grace....i love you more than the sun and the moon and the stars :)