Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Mom

My Mom is so old I have only ever seen her childhood in black and white.
She is the small one in the front... this picture is further proof that she was born a "mom".
She was probably not even in school yet and already carrying a purse.

Today is her birthday...
I will not tell you which one exactly, but she is somewhere between 35 and 62.
 That's her holding Daniel... she looks good for her age right?

oh ok fine.... that was me, here is Daniel.
 Same serious, calm, sleepy look on her face. Newborns must have that affect on her.

How do I describe my Mother?

She is selfless.
I find myself trying not to call her for help on a regular basis because I know that she will drop almost anything just to come help me with the kids, or let me take a shower, or bring me a gallon of milk.
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people,
promptly announces she never did care for pie. 
~Tenneva Jordan

 She is worries too much, but I think its only because she loves us all so much.
She panics over absolutely nothing.
But in times of actual crisis she is somehow utterly calm.
I'm learning this is a mom thing too, never let them see that your afraid.

It makes no difference if we were five years old and getting stitches for the first time,
or twenty five and having complications after having a baby...  she was what we needed.

I cannot forget my mother.  She is my bridge. 
When I needed to get across, she steadied herself long enough for me to run across safely. 
~Renita Weems


She loves our Father, and he loves her.
And that is priceless.
They showed us marriage isn't a fairytale and its not about happily ever after.
Its work, and compromise, and sacrifice.
But its also a promise to God, to each other and to us.
"Faithfulness lives where love is stronger than instinct."
~Paul Carvel

She has a great sense of humor, people are just drawn to her because of it.
That and the fact that I think she reminds everyone of there own mother.
She has taken on the role of of motherhood, and now grandmother, so entirely that I think its just a part of her personality.

 

If you have a mom, 
there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been.  
~Robert Brault

So Happy Birthday Mom... here is my gift to you, one last quote I really liked.

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. 
She never existed before. 
The woman existed, but the mother, never.  
A mother is something absolutely new. 
~Rajneesh

This means that you have "Mom Years".... kind of like dog years,
and thanks to Julie and I you are only 26.

 I guess we could say that what doesn't kill you actually makes you younger! 

Love you.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I think you got the mom years backwards, i think thanks to us she's actually 124... looking good mommy }:)

Anonymous said...

Selfless is the PERFECT word....i don't think the word NO is in her vocabulary! ...she will pull herself, drag herself or do whatever it takes to get to her family when the need arises!

....and if you think she's a great MOTHER....she's that and even more as a SISTER!!!

....and i'll take credit for that sense of humor...she got it from me..hahahaha....hey...ya gotta grab a compliment when you see an opportunity....i might not me a MOTHER, but i'm a WOMAN!!!.... HEAR ME ROAR!!.....hahahaha ...

LUV U DINNY... & thanks Poodie for the great tribute to her on this SPECIAL DAY!..... AJ

Anonymous said...

Poodie...thank you so much for my birthday present....it is truly priceless and i love it know i made many many mistakes over the years....but i find great comfort in knowing that you and Juju did always know you were...are..and always will be loved..more than the sun and the moon and the stars