Monday, December 13, 2010

I Blame You and God Should Too.

God has been calling me out lately.
 I hate when that happens...
but I guess I'm also flattered that He takes the time to notice that I need the lesson.

He's got a lot going on don't you think?

So I'm humbled when I hear so directly from Him.

It went something like this....

Me: Lord I don't understand why everything is so crazy around here lately...
Please help me to be patient.
I'm so tired of all the running around, all the drama, all the late and busy nights.
Why can't they do.... XYZ
Why can't she just.... blah blah blah....
 Really they are creating these issues... can't you deal with them Lord?
It would make everything so much easier!

Are you seeing the problem yet?
(If you are pat yourself on the back because I was not.) 


So here is what God said... and by "said" I mean this verse which I don't know popped into my head 
and I looked it up...

Isaiah 1:13 ~ Stop bringing me meaningless offerings!

Ok... God is usually a little gentler with me.
But I immediately knew what He was saying to me.


God: What are you really praying about? Yourself? Or everyone else?

So at that point in my prayer time I felt bad but still as though I didn't quite get it...
my prayers were meaningless?
The time I was giving to God that morning was meaningless?
Why?
Because I was talking to God about what everyone in my life was doing to me.
What everyone was asking of me.
What everyone was needing from me.
me... me... me versus them.... them... them....

I don't think that God minds when we vent to Him, I think we should speak to God like a friend.
But I think His point to me was that this is what all our conversations lately looked like.

So I prayed to be shown better... and God showed me John chapter 5.
Again the amazing thing was I had no idea what was in John chapter 5.

What I found was the story of a man who had been an invalid for 38 years.
He was waiting by the healing waters of Bethesda.
When Jesus saw him he said "Do you want to be well?"

I read that and thought... what a ridiculous question! Who wouldn't want to be well?

But do you know that the man didn't say yes....
He instead gave Jesus his short list of reasons why he hadn't been made well by the waters yet.

"Sir," the invalid replied, "I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred.
While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me."
To paraphrase:
"Them... them... them....
no one will help me....
everyone pushes in front of me...
no one notices me...
they are all selfish...
they are greedy...
 they are the reason I am this way.
pity me...." 
Now... I have no experience learning how to study the bible,
I am not qualified in any way to teach anyone about faith or God. 
This is just what God was showing me in this story....

Quit blaming others for your circumstances.
Quit judging they're actions so harshly.
Do you think I don't see? 
Do you not trust Me to deal with them the way I'm dealing with you now?
Its not My will for you to be bitter and frustrated.
When you are to act or speak I'll tell you...
until then don't stew...just let Me change you, 
and in doing so you will be doing My will.
And most of all pray for those you feel have wronged you... pray My will for them.
Now.... "Do you want to be well?"


wow..... ouch......


So what is God's will for them?

Well the day after God dealt with me on this subject this verse was the daily verse in my bible.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.
Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Not surprisingly the sermon on Sunday was all about this same topic of being critical and judgmental.
Without going off on another tangent, 
it was about the woman who washed Jesus feet with her hair and her tears.... 
Its in Luke 7:36-50.
Read it if you have time.


It is a hard thing when God holds a mirror up to your face.
But it is a beautiful thing to see all the little details of his lesson for you 
and to know He loves you enough to take the time to show you.

So my point in saying this all?

When you hold resentment toward another,
you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. 
Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.
Catherine Ponder

Are you overly critical?
Are you blaming others for everything?
When you pray, what is the point?
Do you sound like my four year old ratting out her little brother?

Try forgiveness instead.
Try letting God handle it.
Love covers over a multitude of sins, and it keeps no record of wrongs.


That is why the Bible tells us that God is love
Go to Him... He can show you how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, powerful...and thank you for sharing what we ALL feel! xoxo AJ