Saturday, July 17, 2010

It was the best of times... it was the worst of times


Tom took the two oldest to the store today so it was just me and him....


Thinking about the fact that I'm about to have my fourth baby has got me thinking about when I had my first.
I am not the same mother...
thank God....

I remember jumping up to get her every time she cried,
preparing for a trip to the grocery store like it was a six month hike in the wilderness,
following every direction to the letter,
checking on her a million times a night,
waking up and realizing it was morning and we had all slept... all night!
and then panicking and checking on her breathing before celebrating the new milestone.

Yeah.... looking back I'd say my new mother psychosis was making everything a good bit harder than it really needed to be.

So now when my friends with one kid talk about the hardships of trips to the store or late nights with the baby.... 
I might be just a tiny bit judgmental.... only a tad.

Its just that now I  feel like now I really know what hard is.

The baby is in a "shrieking phase".
I can't stand screaming.

Tommy is in a "why?" phase.
And anytime I try to explain he looks at me like I'm a drunk speaking a foreign language
and when I don't try to explain he just says why louder repeatedly and I feel guilty and angry all at once.
I can't stand feeling guilty.

Isabella I would say is always overly emotional 
... but lately that part of her personality has particular prominence.
Couple that with the fact that she is being extra defiant, 
(like making me ask her way more than once to do or not do something.)
And Mama has reached her breaking point.

Its not all sunshine and roses here.
Its messy and emotional and exhausting.
The other night Tom and I got the kids in bed and we both immediately fell asleep on the couch....
for an hour and a half....
Sitting up.

So what is my point?
Well today for an hour I had just the baby.... easy....
oh no... of course not...
Pride cometh before the fall.

My first mistake was giving him noodles with spaghetti sauce for dinner.
The mess was overwhelming.
But I'm super mom and he is one baby... no problem.

His clothes were a mess to so I just stuck him in the bath empty and undressed him in there.
Took off the messy outfit and stuck it in the sink behind me to soak.
Went to take off his diaper.... uh-oh... messy poo.
this has happened to me before.
amateur mistake, I should know better.

ok.... ok... just unplug the drain and use my hands *gag* to wash it down the drain...

Uh-oh again...

water in the sink is still running...

sink is plugged....  
SINK IS OVERFLOWING!!!

Baby is wet and screaming and covered in poo and spaghetti...

can't let go of baby!


CAN'T REACH SINK!!!!!

So I bit the bullet and picked up the soaking wet slightly poo and spaghetti covered baby and reached the sink plug..... way to late.

Rug, towels, slippers, me... all soaked.

Oh and the whole time this fiasco is playing out in my bathroom... this song is playing on the radio...
loudly... and never ending.

Everybody's got their something.... be it one baby or ten.
I am sorry God for my judgmental attitude.... my job is hard but no mothers job is ever easy.
lesson learned.... no more ok?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny....and so true

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates said...

Oh no! Poop everywhere does not bring out the best in me either. My one daughter made the mistake to use it to paint on her bedroom wall once or twice. Lets just say I was not impressed! Hope tomorrow will be easier!

Anonymous said...

i think we need a DNA test taken immediately!!! even tho i KNOW in my heart you are Blood related, because i was there, and your birth certificate says so....BUT, somehow i think maybe "ERMA BOMBECK" is in you genes somewhere!! and IF you do not write this book we've talked about for so long....i'm gonna freakin scream! i know you're too busy cleaning up poo and chasing pre-schoolers around, but if you don't do this now...you're biggest fans are going to miss it!! i don't know anyone besides ERMA that can make you laugh til you pee your pants (out loud) AND bring you to your knees in prayer while weeping hysterically in the same Blog!! you may have found your calling as a Mommy, but you need to seriously consider finding your Publisher!! Love you BIG MUCH!! xoxo AJ