Monday, May 31, 2010

Sweet Summer....

Summer is in full bloom at our house.
I can't seem to find the time I need to write about our life because I'm just to busy living it!
So this is a random smattering of the last few days that I most want to hold tight too.
The everyday moments and milestones that somehow slip through my fingers like sand, faster everyday.


Daniel has now taken his first dip in the big pool.
He was too little last summer... 
and it was to chilly... 
and I was too tired.


mommy has a little more energy now that he is sleeping all night :)


With every child we have diligently documented the first moment that their toes touch that beautiful blue water
In my family swimming is likened to a sacred right of passage.
I honestly cannot remember a time when I didn't know how to swim, and I've never had any lessons.
We just spend that much time in the water.

 Tommy could not be bothered to hold his head up while he floated around the pool.
He stayed like this forever. Total chilled out.
That's right baby... get used to it, we are gonna live here for the next three months!


Thousands have lived without love, but not one has lived without water. 
~ W.H. Auden


Splashing is a hobby for him.


And another new development for Daniel is solid food. 
He still only has three teeth on the bottom but he just wasn't happy with the baby food anymore.
So far he loves anything involving cheese, 
and watermelon was a big hit too.


I'm throwing this next picture in now because I was talking about food... 
this is an impromptu lunch at Grammy and Grandpa's house.
Notice she has two large tables...
I didn't understand why she kept the old one when we got her the new one.
Now I see,
the grandchildren alone now take up nearly one whole table... 
oh wait.... 
three are missing.
So once they are all big enough to sit at the table they will actually be short one seat...
oh wait...
there is another grandbaby due in July....
My head hurts from all this math. Just enjoy the cute picture and forget all that you just read.


Swinging at Grams house.



 and playing with one of the many kittens.



Now back to our house... the place I always want to be.
I love love love these lights... they feel ethereal, and magical.
Like all the warm fuzziness of Christmas 
except its eighty degrees 
and there's a fire going 
and you can see lightning bugs everywhere.

I love summer, and I'm still high on the newness of it.
My words can't do it justice so here are some pictures of summer at our house.
And some other peoples words that rang true with me....




"The summer night is like a perfection of thought." 
-Wallace Stevens



Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year. 
It brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. 
- Billy Graham


Sweet childish days, that were as long
As twenty days are now.
~William Wordsworth, "To a Butterfly"




The greatest poem ever known
Is one all poets have outgrown:
The poetry, innate, untold,
Of being only four years old.
~Christopher Morley, To a Child



Warm summer sun, shine kindly here; 
Warm southern wind, blow softly here;
Green sod above, lie light, lie light - 
Good night, dear heart, good night, good night.
- Robert Richardson's "Annette" adapted by Mark Twain

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

PTL....Hallelujah!! it's going to be an AWESOME summer in many ways!
First and foremost, my sister, your Mother, is going to be fine after the healing process....my "dream" trip to the Keys, and many other points of interest....and coming home to MORE time in the water with the baby dolphins!! it don't get any better than that!! WAHOOOOO!!