Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The smell of success is cleaning products?

I am sick.... aching, sore throat.... blah!
I loath illness,
it is (possibly) the worst part of motherhood,
you can't call in sick.
Everything grinds to a halt, 
any progress I was making is immeadiatly un-done, 
and then when the smoke clears I am further behind than I thought possible.

Behind on what you ask?
Well.... laundry in the practical and immediate sense.

And then there are the things that are only in my head.
My own personal "yardstick" of accomplishment.... or something like that.
What makes a good day?
Is the floor clean, that is a big one... how clean is clean,
swept?
mopped?
vacuumed? 
When all the floors have been cleaned I somehow sleep better.

Is the mudroom organized,
are the coats hung, or are they laying on the bench seat?
Are the shoes on the shelves or are they in  a pile?
I enjoy blogging much more when this mess is cleaned up.

Are all the toys put away at the end of the day?
You know the day has been hectic if my babies are sleeping in a minefield of toys.

Speaking of the sleeping babes, take a sniff.... do they smell like soap and fresh laundry?
Or dirt, cheese, and  playdough?
If its the former rather than the latter, probably a good day. 
Or I was just desperate enough to bathe them even though it was an hour past bedtime and I was exhausted...at least I can say I did something.

Its almost like I can't relax at the end of the day if the sink is full of dishes and the hamper is over flowing.
If lunch is still on the floor.
If my bed isn't made... or worse yet is covered in laundry.

I love love love a clean house... I want my kids to love it too.
So far they do, Isabella actually complains on the rare occasion we go to bed without picking up toys.
I think that's good, order is her normal.

But I'm trying to use another "yardstick" 
On this one good days are measured in how many books we read together, 
how many hugs were given and received, 
how often we said I love you or spoke of the things of God, 

Did we find time today to bake some cookies?
Did we play outside?
Did we laugh till it hurt?
Did we dance?
Did we sing?
Did we make something, create, draw, paint?
Did we cuddle up for a movie together?
Did I make the most of the time I am privileged to have with my kids?
So many mom's only get the weekends to do the things I can do everyday.
I think that is so easy to forget in the day to day drudgery of housework.
I'm primarily in charge of the house, but that is not my primary work
Kids first, cleaning later.
Well... Dayquil... then kids.... anyway..

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.  
~Charles R. Swindoll


 It kills you to see them grow up.  
But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. 
~Barbara Kingsolver


No comments: