Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Cleaning! Wake up and smell the windex....

Last week we had a few warm sunny days, and I got to thinking about spring cleaning. Every year around this time I get a little stir crazy and start throwing away Everything.

Mostly I want to focus on yard work once the weather turns nice, but we still had tons of snow out in the yard from the 40+ inches we got in February....
Yes... that is the Hood of my van level with the snow.

Let us speak of snow no more....hopefully now that that pretty white stuff is all but gone I will get to yard work this weekend.

I was thinking it would be nice to get the indoor spring cleaning done before the weather gets nice consistantly. Also I was very inspired by the series "Declutter: 40 Bags in 40 Days" over at Clover Lane.

Everyone I know thinks I am "very organized"...either that or they have been lying to me to spare my feelings. Anyway... here is my dirty little secret... I am not very organized I just hide the mess in drawers and behind closed doors. So to prove that I did have my work cut out for me, we have some before pictures! I love, love, love, Before and Afters, don't you?

Today I'll show you the kitchen:



This is the top of my fridge and the cabinet above it.
Catch all of the kitchen. Don't mind the dust...


And this is the After...
I got the white document box at Walmart, it fits perfectly. I would love to assume that nothing will ever get stuck up there again but since I know that is will (probably by me) I thought the tray would help me more easily and frequently sort through the mess and put things where they belong.


These are the two main cabinets I use for pots and pans... and mountain dew... that is not mine, it is for my many teenage brothers... five to be exact, but that is a whole 'nother post... Anyway the plan eventually is to get one of those neat sliding shelves, I took me four years to get hardware on the cabinet so I'm just going to be patient.


Here is the after, this honestly took me about 10 minutes, now the trick is to not get lazy when I'm putting the dishes away.


These are some more random pictures that I don't have Before pictures of, honestly I didn't think I'd get this far! Also I found the joy of contact paper... everything just looks nicer, neater, don't you think?


 My mom saw this one and called me "sick".. such a compliment!



So there you have it, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was! I did it all with my kids underfoot, and while my husband was at work. It really is true that if you take it one drawer or cabinet at a time it seem so much more doable. I am easily overwhelmed by the list of things I want to accomplish around the house each day... I start to have panic attacks when I think about the basement...

But seeing what I've done reminds me that I can do more, and seeing what others have done inspires me to do it in the first place.

No comments: