Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love...


So once again it is February 14th, Valentines Day... a day all about love (and greeting cards, and fancy dinners, and chocolates...)
So what is Love?
Love. ( according to Websters Dictionary)
Function: noun
Middle English, from Old English lufu; akin to Old High German luba love, Old English lēof dear, Latin lubēre, libēre to please
Date: before 12th century
(1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (maternal love for a child)   
(2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers
(3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests (love for his old schoolmates)

Not very inspiring huh? I like Gods definition much better.
Love (according to God):
  
1 Corinthians 13
. 1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.2 And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.3 And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing..

So anything you can do, give, or be is meaningless and purposeless if you do not have love in your heart.

 

Love is patient, love is kind
 

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud
 

It is not rude, it is not self‑seeking
 

it is not easily angered
 

it keeps no record of wrongs
 

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

 


It always protects, always trusts
 

always hopes, always perseveres. 
 
 Love never Fails.
I can't love this way all the time, or even most of the time, but God can and does.

And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him.1 John 4:16

 Happy Valentine's Day!



No comments: